I believe that good eating habits can go a long way. That is the reason when my daughter started sitting up without support in her 6th month, I invested in the Fisher-Price Precious Planet High Chair. Now, not everyone feels this stringent with eating habits, but then those parents are born with a lot of patience.
For me, I am not that blessed. See, in the 6th month, it is advised that you start introducing solids in your baby’s diet. Starting solids means the introduction of the spoon. Because you cannot feed pureed foods to them with your hand unlike the rice, you are forced to use a spoon. This is where I started facing a lot of problems when feeding her. She used to dodge the spoon with such ace that I really started wondering how to make a successful pass.
Jokes apart, it was really starting to get tough and that is when I read about the benefits of introducing a high chair. I went through a great deal of research to nail the perfect chair. Let us dive to the review to understand my research better.
This might seem a bit cumbersome for people who are not into DIY. But, we had an amazing experience because the help that comes with the packaged product is pretty easy to understand and implement. You can always ask the store representative to help out with assembly. The parts are really sturdy and each of them meticulously packaged. The plastic is not flimsy and looks like it will last.
Fisher-Price Precious Planets High Chair -Rs 9999
Interestingly, I bought the high chair and the crib for my daughter along with a stroller from Mom&Me, which was given to us at an unbelievable deal price. If you are interested in buying a couple of products, you can speak to the store manager to provide you a deal price. Thanks to the deal, the high chair cost me around 7000. Now, I can pledge that the price is justified. My daughter is now 2.2 months old and has been using the high chair for every meal, at least consistently for lunch and dinner, since she was 6 months old. There is not a single scratch or wear and tear on the chair. I have shifted two cities and even then there has been no wear and tear. The chair can be used until your child reaches 3 years or 21 kg. It is still a long way to go for my daughter and I am sure I will continue to use it till I can.
- It is fold-able. Completely folds and can be stored horizontally under the bed. Even in a city like Mumbai, I hide it behind a cupboard and store it vertically.
- There is cushioning on the seat and comes with safety belts. When my daughter was younger, the cushioning really helped soothe her rear sitting for long times. Also, there are safety belts with multiple levels that can be adjusted based on how old your child is.
- There is a crotch bar to keep your child in position.
- Wheels so you can take it anywhere. Not just wheels, but a lock for the wheels on all four wheels to keep it in position to avoid accidents.
- Dishwasher safe double trays. The inner tray is like a plate and BPA free. I used it often to give her finger foods early on.
- Reclining seats up to 3 levels. That is like an awesome level of comfort.
- Multi height levels up to 7 levels. How much more customization does a high chair need?
- The seat cover is machine washable.
- A suction toy to keep your child entertained. I will be honest my daughter never even looked at it. The toy never appealed to her, but that does not make it any less cute.
- Cost is a bit higher. There are cheaper varieties available. But, the make of this chair is very sturdy. At her age right now, there is a lot of jumping that happens in the chair and a sturdy plastic can only endure such jumps.
- The reclining positions are a tad difficult to manipulate. I hardly use them, but when I do, it gets a bit tough with a single hand to manage to hook it in the right slots.
- Leg rest is now becoming a pain since my daughter is growing taller by the day.
Personally, I love this chair and cannot recommend enough. I did a lot of research on other popular brands such as Grace, MeeMee, and others. Some were way too expensive for the quality they offered, while some like MeeMee were cheaper but the quality was not even 3% of this chair.
With my daughter, for such pieces that spread over the years, I have especially taken care to invest in the higher-end products. If I even use it for 4 years, I think in the children world I have made it a worthwhile investment. Though my daughter did not like the toy, she did enjoy the animals on the seat cover. There were times that she would peek at them once in a while. This chair also helped her in understanding that eating time is high chair time. So, whenever she used to see plateful of food, she would rush to her chair and ask me to help her sit.
I like such discipline and familiarity that she identifies with. Do you use the high chair regularly? Which is your favorite brand and why?