I am a self-confessed shopaholic and when around 5 years back, my Gynecologist broke the news that I am pregnant, of all the other thoughts that crisscrossed my mind; I also thought, well I need to SHOP!! The Fisher-Price Newborn to Toddler Rocker was one of the BIG buys of that crazy time.
First-time parents act crazy when it comes to shopping for the baby. Their shopping lists mostly ends with- AND THE MOON. I was no different. My idea behind buying this rocker was that we were not investing in a crib, so for the first few months, it would act as a day bed for the baby while I did my chores around the house. The ‘’portable’’ feature was what got me hooked.
It came in a neatly packaged box but once you open the factory packaging, the parts never fit back inside it no matter what permutations and combinations you try. Once we bought it we decided to get it assembled in the store itself so never went through the hassle of assembling.
When we bought it in 2009, it was 4999/-. Now it’s 5999/-. Now fisher price products are always on a bit higher side of the pricing scale. However they are sturdy and safe for kids, therefore, I find the pricing reasonable.
- It’s portable- You can take it from one room to another with ease. I used to keep it in the living room while I worked in the kitchen, used to keep it next to the computer table while my son napped and I wasted my time shopping for more baby goods on the net. And last but not least, if my son was awake and I needed to take a bath, I used to strap him in the chair and keep it near the bathroom door.
- Safety harness- it has an adjustable safety harness which helps to keep the baby securely in one place.
- The rocker function- Small babies love the gentle swinging motion of the rocker and can sleep peacefully in it for hours.
- The toy bar- The rocker comes with a toy bar with two toys, of which one is musical. It also has a detachable armrest toy. The toys keep the baby busy and entertained. In fact, the armrest ‘’birdie’’ was my son’s favorite and I had to carry it everywhere with me.
- Sturdy and safe- No sharp edges, no low-quality material which can give way under those extra rough play days.
- Multiple uses over a long period of time- from a rocker to a chair (and in my son’s creative vision it is also a car/ship/spaceship!) It has 18 kgs weight capacity so both my kids are using it till date.
- In my case, both my babies started standing/ toddling at the early age of 9 months. They used to climb on it which made it a bit dangerous and had to be folded and kept away. Once they understood the dangers of toppling over, it was out again. However, my sister in law’s son who is a VERY fussy eater used to eat only when he was strapped in this rocker so it was a god-sent for them and they used it throughout his growing years. So the usage may differ from baby to baby.
- The legs fold in when it’s dragged.
- The vibration mode- frankly I found it too harsh for the baby. I used it a few times when my kids were not sleepy and they were anything but soothed.
- The fabric is not detachable making it difficult to clean. Only wipe clean possible.
This Fisher-price portable rocker chair is a value for money product as its safe, sturdy and could be used over a long period of time (in my case 5 years and counting). As it ‘’grows’’ with the baby with its adjustable multi settings, it could be safely used as a day bed, rocker and a chair. Even with rough usage by kids, it shows no wear and tear.